ANZAC biscuits are an Australian comfort food. At least they are to me :). They are the kind of biscuits that come out of the oven with a crunchy outside and a soft, chewy centre. Mmmm! The standard ANZAC bikkie (Aussie slang for biscuit) is high in sugar. Here is a healthier version that tastes just as sweet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 7-8 bikkies
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp melted grass-fed butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp warm water
- Prepare to cook with love. Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Place all dry ingredients in a food processor and then add all of the wet ingredients except for the warm water.
- Process for 15 seconds.
- Scoop mixture into a small mixing bowl and then add the warm water. The water helps the mixture to stick. Use your hands to mix the water in.
- With clean hands form 7-8 cookies. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before eating. You can store the bikkies in an airtight container for 3-4 days....if they last that long ;)
If you would like your bikkies a bit sweeter substitute honey for the maple syrup.