This a delicious, healthy and hearty dish for a cold winters day and a great dish for vegans and vegetarians. Lentils provide protein and the spinach provides iron. Be sure to add the bay leaves as they help to make the lentils more digestible.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Yield: 6 - 8 serves
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 cups of finely diced cauliflower
- 2 cups of dried green lentils
- 3 cups of spinach or massaged kale, roughly chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups of vegetable stock or 6 cups of water mixed with 4 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp of Tuscan seasoning or mixed herbs
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 level tsp pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- Prepare to cook with love.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, and cauliflower and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the lentils and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, water, bay leaves, herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix well, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Add the spinach and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls with fresh slices of lemon and grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Eat and enjoy.
Omit the parmesan cheese to keep the dish vegan. You can use kale in place of spinach but be sure to massage it for about 5 minutes before adding to the pot. This will help to break down the fibres of the kale making it much easier to digest.