On cold autumn and winter mornings I find myself craving a nice warm bowl of porridge. Oats are loaded with fibre and have cholesterol lowering properties. They are also a low GI carbohydrate which means that they help to keep your blood sugar levels stable and keep you feeling fuller for longer. I like to add some fresh or frozen berries for some antioxidants and walnut for essential Omega 3 fats. A delicious, healthy way to get you started on a frosty winters day.
Prep Time: 5 mins Yield: 1 serve
- 1/2 cup of Oats (Gluten free if possible)
- 1 cup of unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup of raspberries (frozen is ok)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp of crushed walnuts
- 1 tsp Bee Pollen (optional)
- Prepare to cook with love.
- In a breakfast bowl, place your frozen berries. They will thaw a little while you cook the porridge.
- In a small saucepan add the oats and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Heat on a low heat with the lid on, stirring regularly.
- Cook the oats for about 5 minutes and until the mixture becomes thicker. If you like your porridge milky then you could add more milk at this stage and heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and pour your steaming hot porridge over the partially thawed berries.
- Sprinkle on top the coconut sugar, walnuts and bee pollen.
- Let it sit for 30 seconds to 1 min while the berries cool your porridge enough for you to eat and the hot porridge thaws out the berries and makes them nice and juicy.
- Mix the porridge, berries, nuts, sugar and pollen all together with a spoon.
- Eat and enjoy!