Did you know that mushrooms are detoxifying, great immune boosters and packed full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants? They also have a ton of amazing health benefits including assisting weight loss, managing gout and cancer prevention. Some varieties of mushrooms like reishi mushrooms have also been reported to be help liver cells regenerate and have therapeutic effects on neurological disorders like Alzheimers!! Who knew a fungus could be so amazing and healing our bodies!
Not everyone likes the taste and texture of mushrooms but if you are one of the people that do, try adding more of these amazing little fellas into your diet and start reaping the benefits.
Prep time: 10 mins
Yield: As the main course, 2 people with a little bit left over. As an entree, 4 people.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced in half lengthways and then sliced. White part only.
- 600g of mushrooms, sliced. I like to use a 2 or 3 types of mushrooms. Be sure to use some shiitake's if you can find them.
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 4 & 1/2 cups of water
- A handful of thyme. Leaves removed from stalks.
- 2 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper.
- few extra mushrooms for garnish.
- Prepare to cook with love.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and then add the onion and leek. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook the mushrooms for 10 minutes stirring often or until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the remaining water. Season again with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 mins stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the Greek yoghurt.Taste and season again if necessary. Stir well. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Alternatively, puree the soup in a blender in batches.
- Under a grill, place the tops of the few remaining mushrooms and grill for 5 minutes, turning often and until they are nice and hot or have dried out a little bit. Remove from the grill and slice them up.
- Divide the soup among the soup bowls. Add the grilled mushrooms on top. Serve with some toasted gluten-free bread.
- OPTIONAL EXTRA: This is a little tip I took from Jamie Oliver. In a small bowl add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper, the rind of 1 lemon and the juice of half. Mix it together. When you serve the soup. Place a few teaspoons of the lemon mix in the centre of the soup. When you eat the soup, mix the lemon through before eating. Yum!
- Eat and enjoy!