Inspired by a recipe I saw once on TV, this has become one of my favourite recipes. It is a delicious vegetarian salad, great for Meatless Mondays. I love squeaky cheese (Haloumi) and I love roasted beetroot. Walnuts and walnut oil are a great source of Omega 3's, the good fats we want to eat more of in our diets.
Prep Time: 50 minutes
- 125g of Haloumi cheese, cut into strips about 1/2cm thick
- 1 beetroot, peeled and cubed into large, even sized pieces
- Mixed salad leaves, rocket & spinach
- 1/2 an avocado, cut into chunks
- 12 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- chopped walnuts
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Take a deep breath in. Slowly breathe out. Set your intention to make a delicious and nourishing meal. Prepare yourself to cook with love.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the cubed beetroot in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use your hands and toss the beetroot in the oil. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes turning once or twice. Once cooked removed from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a pan and fry the haloumi for a few minutes on each side until they have a nice golden colour. Remove from the pan and place them on a plate with some paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- In 2 bowls divide the salad leaves, rocket, spinach, avocado and basil leaves and toss to combine.
- In a jar place the walnut oil, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard. Add a little pinch of salt and some pepper. Put the lid on the jar and give it a good shake to combine the ingredients.
- Pour half the dressing on each of the bowls of salad. Toss the salad with the dressing.
- Top each bowl with roasted beetroot, haloumi and chopped walnuts.
- Eat and enjoy.